Sunday, August 2, 2009

For border terrier owners ONLY...is it better to have two?

I have a super 5-month-old border terrier who I absolutely adore, and I've become completely addicted to the breed. We have a very close bond but I know that he really, really enjoys other dogs when playing at the park. It seems that many border terrier owners have more than one. This is something that I'm considering, but I would like to know from anyone who has first-hand knowledge of the breed whether this is a good or bad idea?
Answers:
Border terriers are definitely great dogs. My family has owned three total. If you work a lot than I would suggest getting another dog, but not quite yet, you want to make sure the pup is very well bonded to you (often times if you get two dogs around the same time, especially if they are puppies they bond together instead of with you). If you do get another dog, you definitely could get a border. One of the ones we had grew up with our German bred dog for three years before we got a second one. We ended up getting the second one just because the breed is so amazing, not exactly for the border we already had.
It really depends upon how much you have to leave him and how much time you get to socialize him with other dogs. I agree with you...they are definitely one of the best breeds around!
Good luck...I know I didn't give you a clear cut answer, but it really does depend on your situation. If you want to get another one, go for it once your pup is a little more mature and even more bonded to you! Good luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment