Sunday, August 2, 2009

For breeders only please. How do you feed your brood BlTCH?

How do you feed your BlTCH from the first signs of heat through weaning of the puppies? Do you add supplements? What food do you feed? Any other details will be appreciated.
Thank you,
Answers:
I never feed my dam's anything special until I knew they were pregnant. If your feeding the highest quality food in the first place then the dam should be in tip top shape anyway. I never added any supplements either unless the vet instructed me too. Too much of one thing is not good for the dam either.
Not until she was pregnant did I incresed the amount of food I gave her and then it was what ever she could eat. You never want an overweight dam to get pregnant in the first place, not good for her or the pups.
I used to feed my Dogs Nutro High performace dog food until I found Canidae. Back then Nutro was one of the highest quality food around but no longer.
You just feed her the regular amount that you are already fedding her until the last 2 Weeks of pregnancy then you need to double her food. Be sure that you are feeding her high quality food also. Not just some cheap stuff. Hope this helped you!
Why do you capitalize that word? We all know it isn't a curse word when used in that respect.
The easiest way is to switch from reg food to puppy food at about 1 month pregnant. No supplements are generally needed but I do add Vit C and coat oil to all my dogs food. There are many top food, I use Pro Plan..
I have recently read that a higher protein diet early on in pregnancy is in fact bad for the ***** also too many supplements can be toxic. As stated if the ***** is in good shape to begin with I gradually increase feeding the same food I normally do and by the half way point feed all she wants until well after weaning. I don't have to worry about weight issues because she normally runs on the thin side.
i feed all my dogs on the B.A.R.F diet. my girl gets the same diet through her heat and when shes bred she gets extra eggs, shells, oils, and meat. only a little extra not much i dont want her to gain a large amount of weight during pregnancy. it can increase the risks of the birth going wrong later. after her pups are born i will buy puppy milk replacer (powdered) and sprinkle it on her food. just enough to coat it... thats it. shes a healthy dog and at optimum health before i breed her so i dont have to do much extra for her.
PIP its capitalized because otherwise it gets sensored and lokks lik this *****

No comments:

Post a Comment