Friday, May 8, 2009

Dogs as "children"?

When people refer to those who think of dogs as child substitues, they are generally referring to pampered, spoiled, neurotic animals and silly, permissive, weak owners whose dogs walk all over them.
I see it differently. As a dog "parent", my responsibility is not only to provide them with housing, healthy diet, correct medical care, and lots of love. As a "parent" I am also responsible to educate them, teach them manners and respect, to make them into good citizens, as well as provide them with physical and mental stimulation and the opportunity to participate in sports that they enjoy.
Opinions?
Answers:
I have three cats and I view all of them as my "children" and so does my boyfriend who lives with me. I feel the same way you do with your dogs. I try to provide them with the best life I can and educate them, feed them, discipline them, just as I would a child. I do not spoil them by any means, other than to pet them a lot and to buy them treats and toys that I know they like, but not all the time. I just feel that they became a part of my little family and I want them to be as happy as I am in that family.
i treat my dog like a child. He is a child in a way, but he doesn't walk all over me. He obeys and if he doesn't he gets in trouble. He might be spoiled, but he is taken care of.
whatever makes someone happy and their pet; I rather see a crazed owner than an abusive one; happiness comes in all forms, not my job to judge what makes a person or pet happy and content; to each their own is my opinion
Amen!!! I am so sick of people referring to their dogs as
"babies" I consider myself as my dogs "owner and caretaker" The only babies I have are my children and grandchildren. They are at times as much of a responsibility as a child but, I would never allow them to believe they are people.....They are dogs!!
see i see my dog as my brother n my mum is lyk his mum she disiplinces him and i play with him ya no lyk rolling round the floor and gives him treats n stuff lol
I agree 100%
I totally agree!
My dogs are my dogs. I have children, I don't need to treat my dogs as children.
Loving my dogs has nothing to do with treating them differently, they are different. They are dogs!
Your definition of seeing yourself as a dog "parent" is the same as saying that your dogs are your children.
The difference is that some parents are responsible and teach their children to be productive members of society and socialize them so they treat others correctly.
On the other hand, some parents are permissive and don't teach their children how to be productive, contributing members of society by making their children obey rules and treat others properly and contribute to society by working. They try to buy their children's "love" instead of teaching them to be healthy members of society.
Your first paragraph simply defines the permissive parents.
I agree 100%.
A dog is a dog, and isn't a substitute for a child. Baby-talking to your dog, dressing him/ her up or lisping that "my dog is married to another dog, where can I take them on a honeymoon" makes my skin crawl. *shiver*
My dog sees me as his mother, and there's not much I can do about that. He was very young when we got him, because he had been abused and abandoned. When we got home, he crawled into my lap and stayed there. He also feels safer with girls and women than he does with boys and men. I am happy to be his mama in his eyes, but I've still established myself as boss and he respects me-- because I treat him like a DOG and not a human child.
I agree. I think that human children come first when there is a need to make priorities. On the other hand, the animals we take care of are a responsibility, and given in trust, and the only success we will have will be driven by love. and it is the stuff of mature caring that you are talking about, not the sentimental goo goo that brings a puppy home for Christmas and forgets it after. Animal adoption can also bring worry and anxious caring as well as sometimes involve our misjudgement, just as with real children. Pets bring great joy, however, and I believe they pose one of the chief delights from our Creator. This is my opinion.
I agree with you about being a good dog "parent".
The only time I refer to my dogs as my "babies" is when they are acting like spoiled 2 year old children, trying to get my attention. They are dogs...they are part of the family, they live inside the house (no, they do not get people food) and sleep on the furniture. I see NOTHING wrong with that. We are a solid pack and the humans are the alphas.
What I do see wrong (far too often) is dog owners who tie it outside to a dog house for most of it's life or stick in in an outdoor kennel by itself and only let it out once or twice a week.
When I see that, it makes me want to go yell at the pet owner to either love and care for something they brought into their family, or to get it a BETTER home!!
I see dogs as 'canine companions,' and respect that their function in that role changes throughout their life.
I see children as 'parents in the making.'
I am not my dog's parent ... not by any definition. I am my dog's master and respect that my function in that role changes throughout its life.
You are a real dog-lover, the others are just dog-owners.
My dog is my 'baby'- I am 24 and unmarried with no kids. I don't think i let him walk all over me and am really working on discipline and training.
I think of it as I am the mommy and I have to give the tough love sometimes- same as I will when I have children. I give him food, water, shelter, think about his health, needs and wants, but I don't let him get away with everything or my life would be in shamble.s
My BF and I treat the dog as if he is a child. He is not some crazy spolied brat if a dog. If he is bad. he gets a time out (such as has to go lay down, or if we are walking offleash and he doesnt come riht away (which he normally does) he goes back on leash for 2 mins). He is a very much loved family member who wouldnt be traded for the world, but there is still rules, he is not alowed to be out of control.
I treat my dog like a close friend. Or even a sister. I love her to pieces and its like what you do to your friends. You would hate to see them go. Same with dogs. So, not as a child, a friend, a very close freind. Even though most of your friends aren't fluffy and hairy, dogs can be one of your best friends. They will live forever on this Earth and people should appreciate them as family. Not a child. Maybe even a friend.
My dogs are, and have always been, "friends".
One comment I would like to make.
After teaching obedience for 30+ years, my wife and I have always commented on how we can usually tell how new students are going to do training their dogs when we watch them react with their children and vice versa.
Heavy handed and "tough" on their dogs? Usually that way with their kids. Walk in with a bunch of brats, and you usually get a handler who doesn't set many limits for their dog.
I have three human children, I would never let them think that my animals held the same place in my heart . that's just sick.. I love my animals alot but they are not even close to being my children. as for people that consider them there fur babies it just makes me so sad that they are so heartless to realize the love is very different
I love my dogs with as much intensity as I would love my children (heck, I even refer to my dogs as my kids), but I treat them as dogs. I train them and I expect them to behave as dogs would. I try my best to be a good dog neighbor (my neighbors have never complained about living next to a 4 dog household). I take them for walks, we meet and greet as many folks as we can along the way. They crap in the street - I clean it up. I talk to my dogs, but I know they don't understand me ... they're dogs. I expect them to bark, knock things over with their tails, roll in mud and slobber. That's what dogs do! They understand my rules and they live by them.
I think it's important that all dog owners understand that a dog is a different species. They look different ,,, communicate, eat, sleep and behave differently than people do. Maybe that's why I like dogs so much.
I disagree! My boys are referred to as my sons, they might be spoiled but they are well taken care of and they are very smart as far as good citizenship is concerned!! My daughter is grown and never home so I have my boys and we enjoy each other very much!So they live in the house with me and I can enjoy them every minute that I am home.
YES!!!!
I agree with you entirely.
I'd also like to add, that a pampered, spoiled child is no more fun to be around than a pampered, spoiled dog.
I have a stepdaughter and I own a dog. My aim is to provide each of them with food, housing, medical care and education **according to their own specific needs**, to the best of my ability.
I agree.
My duty as my dog's guardian is to love, feed, treat, and teach her as best as I can. She and I have a "team" type relationship where we both benefit.
One of the symptoms of the problem I see is the pervasive "why does my dog eat poop?" question. People don't want to see their precious baby doing something that disgusting, but if we look at what we do voluntarily from a different point of view, we could be positively disgusting (plucking hair, for one). We're different species, we have different needs, and when we form groups together, it's a completely different dynamic. I owe it to my dog and to the world to be the best dog owner/guardian/mom I can. If she sees me as her mom, then that's her issue. I don't see her as my baby, but as my dog, my "girl."

No comments:

Post a Comment