Friday, May 8, 2009

Dogs Sensing Earthquakes?

It's 12:55 in the morning (August 9, 2007), and I'm quietly putting my T-shirt outside in the laundry machine. As I walk to the washing machine, the dogs inside the house, locked far away in a room begins barking. I remember this because I was really annoyed that they were going to wake up the others.
Then other dogs outside in the open of my neighborhood begins to bark. I know this because I was muttering stuff at them for making such a ^%$#%$ racket.
Then exactly 20 seconds later, there is a strong earthquake. I run straight under my desk, ... shaking. Then I thought about the dogs and the timing of the barkings.
I consider myself a factual, rational, no-nonsense guy, but this is really creepy and strange. I'm not implying or suggesting anything, but just what happened after midnight.
I have to go back to sleep now. Any comments would be appreciated.
Answers:
I really believe that dogs can sense weather changes and other natural things in the earth. My heeler can sense bad thunderstorms. As soon as she goes and hides under the bed, we start watching for the lightning, and she is never wrong.
holly crap i felt it 2 im in North hollywood i was on my computer and i felt it.Dogs started barking over here 2 i dont know why but then the eartquake hit 2
Dogs sense any kind of weather disasters or tragedy before you realize. They also, get the sense of when you're upset or worried about something as well whether it's a hurricane, tornado, earthquake, or even a simple thunderstorm.
my cat used to yowl before an earthquakes, storms, blablabla came too. they're probably just more sensitive. or honed instincts
It is very well-known and documented that all sorts of domestic animals know when there is going to be an earthquake. Dogs are especially well-known for this, as they tend to alert and bark to warn their people, but it has also been noted in, among other animals, horses. Scientists aren't sure how dogs know, but they suspect it has something to do with changes in natural energy fields or some type of electromagnetic energy. The reason they think that is because dogs can also be taught to warn people with epilepsy before they have a seizure. The dog knows before the person knows, and can be taught to alert the person so that they can get into a safe position where they won't fall and hurt themselves. The people who investigate this stuff think that there must be some sort of built in and very sensitive energy sensing organ in dogs, because they know that there are electrical changes in the brain during a seizure, and during the period just before. They can see those changes on an EEG if they have a person in the lab, and they can see them before the person gets an aura telling them they will be having a seizure, so they assume that somehow dogs are picking up on it, as well. They have tried to pinpoint exactly how dogs know, but so far they have been unable to do it.
So don't worry--you don't lose your status as a rational guy just because your dogs alerted on an earthquake. There's plenty of weird but reliable science out there that says it's a well-documented but poorly understood phenomenon.
Since you won't read this until morning--I hope your sleep was good, and not disturbed by aftershocks. I hate those darn things.
yeah it's proven dogs can sense earthquakes and see ghosts. hmmm..anyways i felt it too. if you want info on the quake, not dogs, here you go http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/ca/ind...
My Aunt has always said she knows when something is going on because the horses wont go in the barn. She believes they feel it in the ground. They act all spooked as if there's an animal after them. A dogs hearing and smell is so superior to ours, it has been theorized dogs can not only hear the sounds of shifting rock but smell sulfur and other gasses escaping the ground. I don't know but, this has been a debate for years. Scientist would love to figure this one out to provide more time to the people.
I don't live in an earthquake prone area but I'm sure your dog and all the other dogs in the neighborhood sensed that earthquake.
One of our dogs was so sensitive to thunderstorms that he KNEW one was coming hours before the sky got dark. It could be a cloudless sunny morning and he would be whining at the door and trembling in fear. He was a great big mutt and an outside dog. Of course we let him in the house when the storm actually arrived. He was very accurate in predicting thunderstorm activity.
I wonder if scientists who study earthquakes have explored how animals predict them? Sounds like a great early warning system to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment