Friday, May 21, 2010

Getting st bernard puppy?

what is the best way to house train
Answers:
Saint Bernards are great dogs!! They hold a VERY special place in my heart. Not only do I own one, but I foster a few yearly, helped whelp several litters, and are actively involved with the local breed club. I will glady give you my two cents about this wonderful breed!!
I work with and am a member of the Saint Bernards Club of New England (http://newenglandstbernard.tripod.com/). My close friend is a breeder and has been for years. I have helped her whelp many litters!! And have recently began (key word!) to learn the in and out of showing and hope to show alongside my friend.
Saints are awesome dogs, I really cannot say enough good things about them, however they (unfortunately) have many health issues/problems (many of them being genetic) and do not have a long life expectancy because of their size (like any large breed). They also need to go to obediance classes because of their size and strengh (and the breed tends to be difficult to train). The first two years of your Saints life will be teaching them not to eat/chew antyhing and everything!! They are a very oral breed.
I also tell people you absolutely need a sense of humor when you own a Saint!! Not only do they LOVE to get dirty, LOVE to dig (grass, dirt, sand, mud, etc.), and DROOL, but they will also push your buttons to see how far they can get you to go. They are very intelligent, so they can be challneging to train. Instead of just listening to the command you give, they actually think about it before doing it... so you need a patient and firm hand :) The key is being consistant and establishing pack roles from early on.
Also, like any large breed... more expensive to feed, more expensive vet bills, more expensive flea/tick and heartworm prevention, and more exercise! A few of my foster Saints are on TWO heartworm preventatives and TWO flea/tick topicals a MONTH because of their size!! It REALLY adds up... and quick! Trust me!!
The only advice I can give you is to find your local Saint Bernard breed club and go to different events. See as many Saints as you can, talk to as many owners as you can, and PLEASE do a lot of research to find a responsible and reputable breeder. Ask a TON of questions, ask for references and actually call!!
Educate yourself!! You would hate to purchase a Saint puppy from a mill/broker/backyard breeder and end up having to pay $2500 for hip surgery by the age of one. I have seen this time and time again with this breed at my work. The breed is notorious for hip and elbow dysplasia. Make sure the breeder is affliated with the AKC AND the Saint Bernard Club of America (they are quite strict with breeder regulations).
With that said... if you believe Saints are still the right breed for you and your family and you are willing to make an 8-year commitment (atleast)... then here is my advise on potty training:
The way I housebroke my pups was to take them outside after eating, playing, napping, drinking, and I used a trigger phrase: "Do your business!" I kept saying my trigger phrase until they started to go to the bathroom, then I would stay perfectly quiet. As soon as they finished I would get excited, praise them, and even give them a treat!! I let them know what a great job they did!!
AND Of course allllll puppies will have accidents... it is to be expected! When I would see my puppy going in the house I would say their name as if I was trying to get their attention (in a high pitched voice, please... do not yell at your pup!) and then would quickly scoop them up and whisk them outside where I would use my trigger phase again (like I explained above). Again, stay quiet when they are going and praise them once they are done :)
Good luck! Have patience and be consistent :)
crate training- google it.
for my puppy we just took her outside often and congratulated her when she went outside and gave her a treat. she used to hate going outside but now thats all she ever wants to do!
Praise and consistant training! Taking him out evey hour and just stay consistant!
Crate train or if you have a fenced in yard-leave them outside-unless supervised (when they are inside)
Crate training is the easiest and best way.
http://www.training-dogs.com/crate-train...
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/content...
My question is are you able to handle a large breed dog?
St. bernards are quite large and you have to know what you are doing.
Some people take on large dogs and they don't know how to handle them. The dog walks them(the dog pulls them along).
You need to have control of the dog.
How about reading some books on house training and books about st. bernards. That would be really helpful.
Do you like your furniture or are you looking to get new? I have four Saints and until about two years old they are dumb as a stump. They will eat EVERYTHING and ANYTHING you allow them to reach. Crate is the only way to go. Don't walk them too much but, make sure they are exercised. Don't allow them to go up and down stairs too often, not good for those growing joints. Feed them with all the precautions for bloat. Email me if I can help. Never leave a Saint unattended until trained. When I start crating I take them out every two hours during the day, and my last trip is at ten pm. Get an expandable pen and start out with just enough room for the pup to lay down comfortably. No food or water, a toy is OK. If the pup cries ignore it until its time for him to go out. Do you like drool and hair? Anyhow I could go on for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment