Monday, May 24, 2010

Great Dane/English Mastiff mix puppy?

I'm considering adopting a Great Dane/Mastiff mix puppy at the end of the week. I've been researching different breeds for some time now, and also have personal experience with Great Danes (I used to dog sit for my neighbor's Danes). There is an 8 week old female Dane/Mastiff puppy available, she's small for her breed mix (currently about 12 lbs) but will still likely end up at least 80 lbs. I'd like to hear about others experiences with such a mix, and any tips as far as nutrition (I use Nutro Natural Choice Lamb %26 Rice with my current dog) and anything else that will help! She's not my first large breed dog, and will be joining my 5 month old male Akita (neutered). Thanks!
Answers:
I agree with the poster who said your pup might exceed 80 lbs. Both breeds usually end up at least twice that usually and even the smallest of a litter IMO would be over 100 in most cases. I have an English Mastiff puppy who is 10 months and over 150 lbs currently and I dont think he is the biggest pup in his group since I watch updates on his litter. Females are smaller but still, just make sure you are prepared for this possibility. I bet she will be lovely though. Those breeds are both wonderful.
I have a Shepherd/Dane mix. I use Royal Canin for my dog. Check out their website: www.royalcanin.com
I want that puppy, LOL I have a shepard/St.Bernard mix and he is about 110 lbs. I think yours might be a little bigger than 80 lbs full grown! Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment