Monday, May 24, 2010

Growing worried...?

My 9mo. old baby girl is in heat, this is her second week (or so). I noticed she is MASSIVELY SWOLLEN...it kinda hangs when she walks, and resembles being a boy instead of a girl. I had another female that was in heat and she got swollen and red, but no where near this. Should I be worried? It looks like it's about to fall out, and it's kinda worrying me. She doesn't appear to be in any pain at all, but I was just curious if this was normal. I'm waiting for this heat to pass so I can spay her, so we won't be worrying about this again. Thanks all.
Answers:
It is normal. Thanks for spaying when this is done!!
You CAN spay a dog in heat, but most vets will have you wait. Due to the increased blood supply to the uterus, blood loss is a greater risk when in heat. Waiting until she is done is a wiser choice. You can speak with your vet and see, but most are most happy to wait.
Cats, since they are smaller and most unspayed females are usually in heat or pregnant, are frequently spayed while in heat.
If you aren't sure then you need to take her to the vet. And for God's sake..WHY did you wait so long? She should have been spayed months ago...
You can spay a dog that is in heat.
Some dogs just get REALLY swollen, but if you are concerned a simple trip to the Vet will put your mind at ease.
Do you notice any discharge that isn't red? If its green, then she has an infection. And the trip to the Vet is highly necessary. good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment