Monday, May 24, 2010

Guard dog ?

I need a good guard dog who is loyal but fearsome to others i was thinking about a Rottweiler or Doberman, what do you think?
JUST NO GERMAN SHEPARDS
Answers:
Of course my choice would be Doberman Pinschers!! I have had them in my family %26 home for over 26 years %26 they are very loyal, as well as protective!! I will always have a Dobie in my home %26 life!!
If you are looking for an outside dog, Dobies are not the breed you are looking for!!
how about an alarm system instead? Dogs are companions not just tools.
You're missing out by not getting a German Shepherd!! I've owned lots of dogs and he is the most fearsome and loyal and loving dog I've ever owned.
My good friend, I believe German Shepherds are top of the guard dog list. And you can probably get Rottweiler. They don't bite unless you train them to be that way. There Highly Protective to their family. Make a great guard dog. More for you care for it, more it will protect your family. Good luck.
I guess my question would be in what capacity will this guard dog be used? If you're just planning on sticking out in a yard with no companionship then who cares what kind of dog - will just be a miserable one.
If you're just wanting one that has the appearance of being mean but you really just plan on having it as a pet then the Rott looks meaner.
I would get a dog with a big bark not bit. Why would you want a dog to fear others? Dogs are pets.
I have a Doberman. He is very loyal to my family. I love this breed. I will get another Dobie when he passes. They like to please their family by making them laugh. He watches me in the yard working, and if a car or a person is walking in the road, he barks at them to let them know not to mess with me.
those are good, but they need alot off space, what about a pit bull or an amercian staddforshire terrior? my friends neighbor has one, when you are near the fence hell bark but when your in and petting (if he knows you) hes just a big old suck up! pit bulls and staffy's arent actually evil and they shouldnt be banned, they are just very territorial and protective of their owners, which is why people ar scared of them, they only bark because they are trying to protect what is theirs, same as any other dog, this one just looks more powerful! weimaraners are very powerful and are very big and could attack a coyote! (atleast in the book im reading, its name is dodger) hope i helped :)
ok what is wrong with german shepards also known as gsd
Definatally a rottweiler, my aunt has one and it is very scary and protects its family!
I have a Pitt mix and not many people are leery of her even thought the only thing she would do is sit on you. Or a curr dog because that is the one you have to watch at my house. If you want a family dog as well as a guard dog get a Pitt or staffy. rescue one.
If you are leaving it out in the yard with no companionship get an alarm system because dogs (explicy Pitts) companionship from their humans
Most "guard" dogs are any large to medium breed that can be trained to guard his family. Similar to the "look outs" in a pack. If you train a miniature (not a toy) poodle to be the look out dog of your pack he can be very tenacious when needed. If you are looking for status type guard dogs such as Dobi's, Rots, Germans, Pits, ect then by all means by a status dog but to make sure you have him professionally trained and teach him to know the difference between friend or potential foe. Great Danes are not agressive to a point. They are intimidating though and can hold back any attacker just by growling and they usually are great companions and are very intelligent. Irish Wolf hounds are very popular for guard dogs but are a little hard headed when there is a commotion such as a struggle between you and your potential assailant and usually are tunnel visioned to protect you. Very strong and very gentle to everyone. Just remember, Guard dogs are trained to guard it is not truely bred into them. You teach the dog where his place and position is with in your "pack" and that you are the alfa dog of the "pack" family. I would definately get an Irish Wolfhound because they are really the silent guard dog - in other words you won't hear or see him coming until he's already there. And always remember they are still your pet and need love and attention constantly and to be treated as one of the pack so to speak not just a junk yard dog.
Both are great. Socialize him and love him. Make him part of the family.
I love Rotties, they automatically look intimidating and have a terrifying bark. However if properly treated he will be a great companion and will not be aggressive. He will bark to protect and scare away just about anything, he will also bark to welcome people (he'll think he's saying hello, but people will think he's trying to eat them).
Just please dont make the mistake of thinking you'll make a better guard dog by mistreating him or not socializing him. Both of the breeds you mention have naturally protective natures, so while I wouldnt count on it 100% to protect you, you can rest assured he'll at least give you a warning and if he knows youre being hurt he'll probably intervene (or decide its a game and get involed in the play).
(My rottie/lab's natural way to play until we trained it out of him was to grab your wrist in his mouth and yank as hard as he could--at 6 months old now Id worry about him seriously hurting me if he hadnt already stopped this. Ive still seen him try it when he gets scared or startled, so I figure he could still hold his own against a person if need be)
Like everyone has already said, don't get the dog just to stay out in the yard with no interaction. I've got a Boxer and an American Bulldog... I keep both inside majority of the time, but make sure I bring them outside quite alot to play and run around. They both look somewhat fearsome to other people. I know for a fact that people with no dog experience or have had dogs, will ever come up and try to pet my dogs. But I also know they would NEVER bite anyone. They really could be the biggest babies, but boy when they bark, you might shitt your pants. I would recommend a Boxer with the brindle coat (brown/black tiger stripes) or a white American Bulldog. Really gorgeous dogs if you take care of them. A Rott would still be okay, but they do get pretty damn big, as do Dobermans. Just please take care of your dog, and remember that if you try to "train" it to be a guard dog, it might feel that everyone coming into the house/fence is an enemy.
yes. i had a doberman. he was a very good watch dog. alot of my friend's were afraid of him.
I would say German Shepherds are the most handsom, loyal, and sound breed of them all. Why hate on Shepherds? They are one of the most intelligent breeds and are very very loyal and protective of what they see as there family. They are fearless but not hostile. I would definitely get one of those but i guess a rottweiler out of those two..
German shepards are one of the most best watch dogs you can find, you are only considering the size of the dog and are you wanting to scare people off? Just get an animal you will love and not use it for your security systems. Get an alarm.

No comments:

Post a Comment