Monday, May 24, 2010

Greyhounds & Coyotes?

The question I placed yesterday was phrased poorly. My question is one of pure curiosity. I DO NOT HUNT ANYTHING, INCLUDING COYOTES, rabbits, squirrels, ankle biters, skunks, gold fish, etc. Again - pure curiosity, how do the ranchers get the Greys to return as easily as I have been told? SPARE ME ANY LONG WINDED ACCUSATIONS AS TO MY STUPIDITY - I have owned many Greys %26 Whippets. When not in my large, well enclosed yard, they are on a LEASH! I love my Greys; they are a part of my family, have thier own beds, as they are in at night. For those of you who "know it all" - look up Spanish Greyhound hunting. To the woman who wrote a very nasty response, you truly are a fool to attack a person without knowing any of the facts. AGAIN, THIS IS JUST A CURIOSITY QUESTION.
Answers:
There's an excellent DVD about training rock-solid recalls. I had a copy, but I gave it to a friend. The author of this DVD has Afghans, so I can imagine you're in the same boat with her. Greyhounds and Afghans are very similar. It's called Really Reliable Recall. I highly recommend you get this DVD. (There's also a book, which is cheaper, but I've never read. I'd imagine it's just as good.)
I'm also interested in the training methods of people who use their dogs for their traditional tasks. Probably this isn't the best place to ask about coursing coyotes though :-) There's too many different kinds of people here, and I doubt there's too many ranchers. I'd suspect that those ranchers have such a wide expanse of land that they don't need to worry about their hounds being hit by cars. They probably have horses and just let their dogs run until they're exhausted when they'll come back on their own.
When I went to a lure coursing trial, it was never difficult to catch the dogs (all off-lead) after their run. I think occasionally a dog will want to keep hunting, in which case all spectators and participants round the dogs up, but it's not generally a problem.
So what's the question today??
I have sighthounds, but the only experience I have in off leash work is with one particular dog. So, I'm not really qualified to answer this question. Your best bet would be contacting other sighthound, lurcher and longdog owners who hunt. I knew of some a few years or so back, but I've since lost contact. BTW, there's nothing wrong with a dog doing what's it's bred to do...within reason. Good luck.
Here are some links that might have helpful information or lead you to helpful information:
http://www.thehuntinglife.com/html/secti...
http://www.lurcher.fsnet.co.uk/...
ETA: To those that have a problem w/a hunting sighthound...they weren't bred to be your home/lawn ornament or for your entertainment. If you have a problem w/what they ARE, find a new breed...but do some basic research this time. Better yet, get a bunny...all dogs are *news flash* predators.
BTW, even when they're lure coursing, they're not trying to catch it for snuggles. It's not forced...it is their nature, their love, their choice. Take it or leave it...they didn't choose you, you chose them. It's your responsibility to choose wisely and accept the breed for what it is.
WOW!
Now your really attracting the "right" people aren't you! People who think there's "nothing wrong" with this! Great websites for you to visit too. Now you can find your true friends.
Funny isn't it. You write you don't "hunt anything" %26 you get theses kind of people %26 websites.
What was it you said.."THIS IS JUST A CURIOSITY QUESTION" sick curiosity most of us would say.
Here's some websites to look at that show what hunters REALLY do to their dogs Since you JUST HAVE A CURIOSITY.

No comments:

Post a Comment