Monday, May 24, 2010

Great Dane?

I bought a Great Dane to protect my wife just recently. Bono, the Dane has been chasing my Appaloosa horse, and I fear for the Dane. My horse, called aptly The Edge (Off The Edge of Sanity is his registered name) has been trying to kick and trample the dog. Any ideas?
Answers:
Danes are not guard dogs. They are big silly love bugs who think they are part of the family. The dog is only trying to play with the horse, sounds like you need to get some training. The class pet smart offers taught my year old dane some manners.
Keep the dog out of the horse pen? My Border Collie came very close to being brained by my friends Frisian (sp? some big draft horse) so I made sure to keep him out of the horses way after that.
The dog has to learn the word NO! And have it enforced. Then when they obey you, forgive them with a hug or a pat on the head.
Keep the dog away from the horse. Even though a Dane is a very large dog, it is no match for a horse. Teach the dog to stay out of the pasture; if he doesn't listen, you'll have to take more drastic measures, such as elecric fences.
There's an easy cure for this. Put a sturdy collar on this dog, cut a broom stick about 18" long, attach a piece of chain in the middle of the stick and attach the other end to his collar, letting it hang down to the middle of his leg. When the dog runs, the stick will hit his legs and he'll stop. Works every time. This also is a good solution for jumping fences.
If you don't want to use this method, buy an electronic collar (more expensive). Put it on and time the shock with the unwanted behavior. I can guarantee he will only test this a few times before he will permanently stop.
You can also put the dog in a kennel, or fence the corral so the dog can't get in.
If you let this go on, the horse will eventually kick the dog causing grave consequences.
Good luck!
I'm not sure why you would buy a Great Dane for protection. I have two and they are big babies. If anyone even talks to them they hide behind me.Try to keep the dog away from the horse.
I have a Great Dane and, along with many other reasons, got her as a protection/comfort to me. As you know, Danes can be protective and be deeply devoted to their owners. My husband used to go overseas on business trips and I had no family around. Our girl has not left us disappointed. She is just a big baby and terribly sweet with the family and those she meets but when appropriate she could make an unwelcomed person wet themselves.
While our girl did not need to be trained to guard our property, she has needed to learn to squelch other instinctive but undesirable behaviors such as chasing animals we don't want her to.
A remote electric collar is what I highly recommend. Make sure it is a remote collar that issues static by you pushing a button and not just an anti-bark collar. It works very quickly (expect to see some kind of results immediately after following directions) and you need to be consistent with it. It is very humane and your dog will not connect the correction with you.
Danes are lovable,goofy but not very bright. If he sustains a bone injury you are in for a long haul and more chances then none a great loss. They can be stubborn but he needs boundaries,it may take a remote collar to train him. Check out Stubborndog.com They have tons of training equipment and I swear to you it works!
I too have a black dane(female 11months)
We have always had Danes.
While they are lovable they were originally bred to hunt boars. He is more than likely following his hunting instinct.
I'm not going to add to the numerous solutions here except that as a former horse owner your dog is seconds away from a brutal kick that will at best stun him or worse kill him.
Be a responsable owner. Don't put your dog in this position.

No comments:

Post a Comment