Friday, May 21, 2010

Giving milk to Chihuahua?

I know many people who give milk to their dogs (big ones) and though I've heard it can be good for dogs (calcium intake), I've also heard that it's not that good.which is right?
My chihuahua just LOVES milk, so can I continue giving him a bit of milk? I feel a little milk couldn't hurt.but then why don't dog books/vets recommend it??
thanks!
Answers:
cows milk can upset a dogs stomach
No, dogs cannot digest cows milk. A little bit won't hurt, but too much will cause diarrhea.
Some dogs have allergic reactions to dairy. If your dog is alreay drinking milk, it should be fine. But make sure you keep it small because cow milk can be bad
cow's milk is not good for dogs, or cats, period.
it can upset their stomach, give them diarrhea, nausea, and overall, not recommended.
I am sure your dog can survive without it, and will probably do better without.
just about all mammals develop an intolerance to milk past the neonate stage. i dont see a problem though if you give very small amounts, and try 2% milk or mlow fat milk.
too much will cause gastric problems that wont be fun to clean up
good luck
Not only will this give them diarrhea, but milk has a high fat content, and they cannot digest it either! It's up to you, but my thought is no milk for the doggie! Sorry
Dogs aren't soposed to bre drinking cows milk. They can't digest it well and it can hurt them more than help them. Many things actually say your dog can die from drinking cows milk often. But pets can have pet milk. I have also heard that dogs don't have the enzymes to break down lactose so they shouldn't have any dairy products but they have digest milk when they are young but only milk from their mother but when they grow older they will become lactose intolerante because they longer need it to grow. I have also heard they can't have cows milk because the fat/protein concentration is not correct and the protein molecule size is not correct. Of course the dog will enjoy it but it really isn't healthy. If you want your dog to get the proteins and calcium you can give him a calcium pill (crushed into powder) in his food twice a week or more if desired. There aren't many articles or information about cows milk and dogs so it really is hard to pick out fact from fiction. Personally my dogs get the best nutrients from raw foods. We are about to switch our dogs to the BARF diet which A. they love and B. has no harmful fillers or artificial flavors or bad cuts of meat like dog food and they get less empty calories and a high metabolism. For a small dog raw foods would have to be in smaller quantities for treats like that if you ever chose that. But most people aren't willing to try it. If you get interested in that kind of diet you can email or IM me and I can help you out. I hope I helped with your question.

No comments:

Post a Comment