Monday, May 24, 2010

Goldendoodle or goldenretriever?

hi im planning on getting a new dog because my other goldenretriever is getting old. ive read a few things and im not sure which dog i should get, i think goldenretrievers are really cute and are really good dogs, but i read goldendoodles have less health problems.
please only answer if you know about both dogs
thanks so much!
Answers:
I've had Doodles, Standard Poodles and Goldens in my classes and I have shown Golden Retrievers.
I like the consistency of the purebred Golden Retriever and the purebred Standard Poodles over the Doodles every time. The Doodle dogs are not as consistent in temperament, coat or size. From my experience, there does not seem to be any "hybrid vigor" to the Doodles, they mostly seem to have health concerns from both the purebred breeds that are used to create them. I have not seen a decrease in health concerns.
The other thing that I was surprised about was the amount of grooming the Doodle type dogs require. I have a friend with a grooming shop and she gets lots of Doodles and they are in there quite frequently, and much more than the Golden Retrievers.
Go to a local dog show and talk with some Golden Retriever breeders so you can learn more about the breed and what the good and bad points might be when adding one into your life.
Here are some links about Golden Retrievers for you.
http://www.grca.org Golden Retriever National Club
http://www.grca.org/PEC/ Great Information About Buying a Golden
http://www.akc.org/breeds/golden_retriev...
http://www.grca.org/pec/goldendoodles.ht... "GoldenDoodle" statement from the parent club.
Good Luck!
Golden Retriever is a better dog, it's a real breed.. The Goldendoodle is a mixed breed dog.. They are full of health problems.. Any health issue that either the Golden or the Poodle might have.. are compounded in the mixed breed dog.. He has the worst of both breeds all rolled up into one.
If you get a golden doodle do your research.Try to get one of the smaller ones.The big ones are a hyper pain in the butt.I love Golden's tho.So sweet.
if i was going to pay all the money that i would if i bought a mixed breed dog (golden doodle) i would go and buy a golden retriever. lets face it unless u go to a shelter or find a person selling them that realizes they cant be registered or anything ur going to pay a lot. i would rather pay that much for a purebred rather than a mutt
Buy the purebred golden retriever. The "goldendoodle" is a mutt, plain and simple and not worth more than the cost of the shots if any administered to the dogs. Go with the purebred.
Well I'm sure the goldendoolde people are telling everyone that they do have less health issues but it's false. Besides the hip issue you also have a higher risk of Addisons disease, and a higher risk of Cushings, and even Wobblers disease.
They don't tell you that. NOw I was with a GoldenDoodle just yesterday. I have to tell you this dog was 8 months old and could not stay still for a moment. I was watching his pup very carefully and it could not settle down and was very anxious. That I did not like at all.
Then can the shocker when I was told they paid 2 grand for this dog. For that kind of money you can get 2 very well bred Golden's with all the health certifications.
You already know the Golden breed and temperment. I'd stick with what you know and not go into uncharted waters.
I love my Golden's and would not trade them for any Doodle under the sun. I know them and their charteristics. Doodles are still a unknown.
This is just my opinion, from my perspective and knowledge.
I agree with everyone here but there might be one advantage to the doodle.Maybe. I suspect that since the fur is more like a poodle's, then maybe a person is less likely to be allergic to it. So it might be a better dog for people with dog allergies.however, why not get a standard poodle instead of the mixed breed?

1 comment:

  1. If i get a goldendoodle will insurance cost a lot more than other dogs?i really want a goldendoodle but im afraid of the cost if it would get sick if i take good care of my puppy can i be confident that it will not get sick or is it almost "garuenteed" that it will catch something?

    ReplyDelete