Thursday, July 30, 2009

Entering In A Dog Show?

How old does a dog have to be to be entered in a dog show I am thinking about entering my 18 year old toy fox terrier is that to old for him
Answers:
18 years is a bit old to start, but it's perfectly fine as far as the rules go. If you are talking aobut conformation, like you see on Animal Planet's Eukanuba Cup, 6 months is the minimum.
Aside to Dane Lover:
Don't tell the shelties that! I know quite a few 12 year olds that love to strut in the veterans classes! LOL Shelties don't believe in retirement. They'll herd you around at 15 years as well as 15 months. I think as long as the dog and owner are having fun, age is no obstacle. ;-)
Depending on what you are showing in:
conformation can start as early as 6 months..obedience and rally most usually around 12 - 24 months...most dogs are retired from the ring by the time they are 8 years old.
LOL, Jennifer T, I hear ya...there are a lot of dogs that love doing veteran classes..some dogs enjoy showing %26 competeing so much they love struting their stuff...I've owned a few. :)
That's really old but I think the dog would love it. But it's probably different dog to dog. . . I think you'd be the best person to answer that, really. . .
i hope you mean 18 month if it is 18 month old then that should be fine but check breed standereds. if you mean 18 year then that is way too old for show.
No.They have to have all there teeth in there head though.You better get grandpa some dentchers.lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment