Friday, July 31, 2009

Fleas help?

I have a dog %26 5 cats which r mainly outdoors %26 r all being treated on frontline for fleas. I have bombed the house. while it was being bombed I took all the animals %26 gave them flea baths %26 then applied the frontline product. then i treated the yard. I have 2 acres %26 the yard backs up to acres of woods which I am not really able to treat because of cost %26 it not being my property. WHen we came back inside the house I sprayed everything with a raid spray that was supposed 2 kill fleas %26 egg larvae for 3 months I put flea powder and borax in the carpets %26 washed all bedding in borax. I have also tried the spray products from the vet %26 am sick of spending a ton of money on flea products. The animals get sprayed daily with a spray that is also supposed to kill the fleas. I cant use anymore product on the animals because they r not supposed 2 b combined. All of the products I have used seem to reduce the number of fleas but we still have them does anyone know of sometheing that works?
Answers:
As long as you have a dog and !FIVE! cats, you will always have a flea problem to some degree. It's hard enough managing flea infestations on one or two animals, let alone SIX!
well to tell u the truth i have no idea!!
If you treat each animal with a monthly application (frontline, advantage, bio-spot, etc...) They will go away. I have a zillion animals...soon as I see a flea on one I treat them all. Usually only have to do this once a year. No spraying, bomibing or shampooing necessary. Stop wasting your money and time on that stuff and go back to the vet and get the topical treatments.
I have found the best thing that works on my animals is Dawn dish soap. It's not harmful to the animals and it's not expensive. After I bathe them in Dawn I put Frontline on them. (which I may say is a rip off) For some reason it's not as strong as it used to be. After the Frontline I put a flea collar on them. It seems to be working for now and my pets are indoor/outdoor pets. 1 dog and 3 cats. Good luck.
I'd go to your local pet store and ask them what else they recommend.
I bombed, powdered, collared, and spread chemicals all over my house and pets but we still had an infestation. Even just a day after the bombs.
You'll want to check out which of your treatments have the highest percentage of Methoprene.
There are tons of things that kill fleas, but the Methoprene is the chemical that will interfere with their maturation process, thus breaking the life-cycle.
Mix 5 parts water and 2 part AVON Skin So Soft and mist your animals then brush it will get the fleas off and keep them off. Mix it in their bath water to get fleas off as well.
Yes! I had the same problem. Try Beneficial Nematodes. They are microscopic worm things that you put into your soil. They feed on ants, termites and the larval and grub stages of various beetles, weevils, armyworms, cutworms, chafers, webworms, borers, maggots, FLEAS, ticks, fungus gnats (sciarid flies), to name a few. Easy to apply, just mix them with water %26 using a watering can, water them into your yard. You'll need to do this when the sun's down as it can kill them. Keep your grass watered every day for a good week so the soil's soft for them to burrow down into. After that, they start living in your yard %26 will help with fleas. We've been using them for about 4 years now %26 they DO work! They work great for ants too. All of our ants left our yard :) I bought mine from a local plant nursery. They had them in the fridge to keep them alive %26 I put them in my fridge till I was ready to apply them to the yard.
You can also try Diatomaceous Earth. You just sprinkle that in your yard and can also sprinkle it in the house AS LONG as you get HUMAN GRADE Diatomaceous Earth. Do a google search on both of those to get more info. It's a great solution for pest control without all the chemicals. 100% organic.
I have 2 dogs %26 they are both on Frontline for like 3-4 months (summertime). After that we just let the nematodes do the rest. Good Luck!
I use advantage, you can get it a your vet. Its a little expensive but it works great. Eventually it will take care of the problem with the fleas in the house. Vacuuming a lot will help too. I had a similar problem and that's what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment