Thursday, July 30, 2009

Experience with Great Dane/Mastiff mix?

I'm considering adopting a Great Dane/Mastiff mix puppy at the end of the week. I've been researching different breeds for some time now, and also have personal experience with Great Danes (I used to dog sit for my neighbor's Danes). There is an 8 week old female Dane/Mastiff puppy available, she's small for her breed mix (currently about 12 lbs) but will still likely end up at least 80 lbs. I'd like to hear about others experiences with such a mix, and any tips as far as nutrition (I use Nutro Natural Choice Lamb %26 Rice with my current dog) and anything else that will help! She's not my first large breed dog, and will be joining my 5 month old male Akita (neutered). Thanks!
Answers:
Hi,
My dane pup was weaned onto Nutro, and it contributed to his knuckling over at 8.5 weeks. It's not properly balanced for a giant breed puppy (even though the nutrition panel may look good). I switched him to Eagle Pack Natural, and he was up and walking within a few hours.
Very important is the calcium/ phosphorus ratio. You should pick a food with 1.2 - 1.5. For example, Food X has 1.1% Calcium, and 0.8% Phos. This gives you a 1.38% ratio (which is acceptable). Some food may actually be a little higher than it shows, so try to stick to the low end of the chart.
My breeder now swears by Canidae since she switched b/c of the last litter's problems on Nutro.
Whatever you pick, if you suspect a problem, don't wait to see. It's very important to address issues fast because of how fast they grow. I wopuld also suggest checking out
GreatDaneLady.com. She's got tons of excellent info on her site re: nutrition.
Thanks,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment