Friday, July 31, 2009

Flies attacking husky's ears? How do I stop them?

It's been a really bad summer for flies. They keep attacking my siberian husky's ears. They're like chewing and nesting on his ears. This happened last year, too, and he has scars on his poor little ears from it. I don't want his ears to get infected or irratated, so what can I do? I thought about putting vasaline, vick's vapor rub or udder balm on them, but I'm afraid the flies would be even more attracted to his ears! Any recommendations?
Answers:
They make sprays for this kind of thing. Some that I have heard of are called AUTAN and SWAT (this comes out bright pink I'm told-so you can see it on your dog's ears). I'm told that it lasts a LONG time though, so you might not need to use a whole lot of it very often.
try using tea tree oil shampoo next time you bathe your dog. It is a very effective insect repellent. But be carefull of the percentage of Tea Tree Oil, I have heard that it can be harmful to animals in large doses.
Try Skin so Soft... That should help
Go to a store, like Blaine's Farm and Fleet, and get some ointment called Flies Off or Flys off or something like that.It is typically used for horses, but it really works on dogs.My newest dog has been having that problem, but his ears are scraped( I don't know why but it is weird) so the flies are really bad.I just put some of it on and it heals up and keeps the flies away.
Sparkles=D
You can try putting spray-off by his ear. You can keep him inside more. But spray-off keeps most of them away, I'm just not sure it'll burn his skin or not. Have good luck getting rid of the flies.
I got some stuff called SWAT for horses to keep flies away. It helps heal too, only thing is is that it's neon pink cream, looks kinda funny. Works excellent. I have a shepherd with the same problem.
A few years back I got some ointment from the vet called VIP. You put a light film on the ears and it keeps the flies away. A certain time of the summer the flies start to bite my German Shepherds ears. Before I got this the edges actually bled!
This is called "Fly Strike" and you can look it up online and see if you can find some solutions. Basically the flies are feeding off your dog's tissues and blood as well as laying eggs in there.
You need to do something quickly to resolve it or it will get much worse.
First you need to try and get rid of the flies in your yard. Keeping the poop cleaned up daily as well as hosing down places with high urine will help. There are fly traps you can buy at home Depot that will attract the flies into a bag and kill them when they feed off the poison inside.
As far as treatment, you should consult your vet on the best course to treat your dog's current ear problem. There are ointments and sprays(try equine fly products) which can help, but keeping him indoors is best while his ears are raw and susceptible. He may need antibiotics if the ears are already showing signs of infection or impending infection.
I wouldn't put any ointment of any kind on your dog's ears until you've check with the vet. I have heard that Avon's Skin
So Soft is something thats worked for dogs though.
Here's a couple of links regarding Fly Strike you might want to check. WARNING...one is kind of graphic...
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fly-strike/...
http://www.minnesotamalamuteclub.com/fly...
http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/pests/b...
best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment