Friday, July 31, 2009

Follow up question to the puppy litter box training?

What would you use in it? and would 4 weeks old be to young to start? they are about 20% of the time going on the potty pads or getting close to them?
Answers:
I start feeding my pups soft solids at 3-3.5 weeks and set up a litter box at that time. I use pads now.. but when I used a box I put hampster shavings in it. Please see my answer to your last question.
if you have a 4 week old puppy you need to worry about other things than litter training him!! that is WAY too young to be away from mom, he should be on formula if he is.
You can buy dog litter called Second Nature. 4 weeks old is a little young- you should make sure they are still with their mom, who will help them learn to be dogs. But you could start showing them where the litter box is and encouraging them to go to it.
I have always lined half of the whelping box with newspaper and the puppies crawl to that when they are as young as two and a half weeks to do their bodily functions there rather than soil their own bedding. .I renew the newspaper frequently throughout the day.
If they are trained to newspaper you can then put the newspaper near the door once the pups are outside their whelping box and they will nearly always use it. By doing this you will see the signs that they need to 'go potty' when they head towards the newspaper by the door and you can open the door and let them go outside and take then to a spot where you want them to use. Wait with them until they go and praise them like crazy and give them a little treat for being a 'good dog'. There is always the odd 'accident' of course as they have no control over their bodily functions until they reach about 5 months of age but they soon get the message and you'll be rewarded in time with a housetrained dog.
I would be slightly concerned about using shavings of any kind as these could get into the puppies' eyes and cause irritation and make them very sore.
This method has always worked for me and my puppies go to their new homes well on the way to being housetrained.

No comments:

Post a Comment