Friday, July 31, 2009

Fence Climber. I have an American Bulldog the is an escape artist.?

Our dogs have a run, our whole yard is not fenced. We are getting ready to fence the whole yard which is huge, but I need some ideas to keep him in until it is done. Everytime we think we have it fixed so he can't escape, he still does. We even took him and had him fixed, it didn't help. He scraped all the skin off his face getting out a few weeks ago. I feel so bad. The other two dogs don't do this. We even have the top of the pen covered. Please any ideas will help.
Answers:
Oh aren't you lucky! I have an APBT who is a wonderful pet - But like yours, he can escape from a pen so keep him in the house. He loves his crate - but prefers to sleep under the covers. But that's just me.
As to your fence - make it at least 6 feet high - either chain link or boards.
AND - run 2 - 3 strands of electric wire on top to discourage climbing. Also run at least 3 strands of electric wire about a foot away from the interior of the entire fence to discourage digging.
APBTs have a REALLY high tolerance for pain so you 'll have to keep the electric wire really hot - so it will give quite a spark to him - not just a little tap but a real kick. So be sure to make people aware of the electric fence.
And to run all this I would recommend a pair of solar powered fence chargers with battery storage backup. That way your electric bill will remain at a civilized level.
Get an invisible fence Kit and collar , and run the wire just 2 feet inside the perimeter , we will learn not to go near the fence
I would just get a cable chain and chain him up somewhere other then the pen. Get the runner that one you hang from tree to tree and the other you latch on to it and the dog just runs up and down the entire length of the cable. that way he's not just chained to a chain in the ground and can only go in a circle.
I had a pure white american bulldog. Man she was something else. We even had an 8 foot privacy fence she'd climb over if she was determined enough. We got to the point where were had to do something so we bought a "tie out" but a collar on her and thought that would solve the problem..NOPE it sure didnt she broke the collar. I tried a harness, she broke the harness. I dont know how big your dog is but ICE was fairly large but a teddy bear to everyone in the family. We then made half of our yard a "kennel" and fenced it off and even had chain link ontop of the kennel so she couldnt climb over..Well she DUG OUT!! Over and over and over. Then we were at our wits end as Im sure you can imagine so we went and bought some chickenwire laid it inside the kennel around the parimater tied it down and covered it with dirt.. She tried to dig out but as soon as she felt the metal she stopped. I do know they have a high pain tollerance either that are they arent to bright which I doubt because mine attacks fireworks!
I dont know if any of this will work for you but it worked for Ice Princess. But the thing is we had 3 other dogs too. Only one other would dig none would climb but all would sure follow if she dug out of the fence and took off running.
if u have a garage put the dog in there and crack it for some air
Mellisa, I just want to know, why would remiving his balls make him stop escaping? That only stops him from being able to breed. Listen, I had a malinois that was like that, nothing worked and I mean nothing. Roof, metal posts on the ground, no matter what I did, he got out, until I run a hot wire on the kennel. He touched it once and NEVER touched it again, ever. That was the only way he stayed in the kennel. Good luck.
Your fence should be 6"ft high, a underground fence would be better. As far as the barbless wire, its more for livestock. I have that type of fence for my horses. It wouldn't work for dogs.
electric fence worked great for my Rotties,, hurts like hell,

No comments:

Post a Comment