Thursday, July 30, 2009

Excited Dog Pee...?

How do you stop the little jerk from peeing when you go to pet her? I've had to kick her out of the house, she's really stinking the place up cuz you can't do ANYTHING with her without her peeing all over you and the carpet and everything else!
She's a begal named Snot, not quite a year old. Please help!
Answers:
It's called excitement peeing and it's common in many female dogs, in particular. First of all, she is still very young and still a puppy in many ways. If your daughter is living in your home and you can't put up with this beagle's behavior, then the BEST thing you can do for the dog is to call a local beagle rescue and ask them to rehome her for you. If you need referrals, I'd be happy to give you a list of beagle rescues. Email me and I'll give you names of beagle rescue groups. I belong to a very good beagle forum on the internet which may also be of some help to you. If you'd like that information as well, email me and I'll direct you to the site. I'm sorry you are so unhappy with your daughter's beagle, but there ARE other options to rehoming as well. If your daughter or you don't want to rehome her, even though I don't agree with their use, there are things like belly bands which are like puppy diapers, which you and your daughter could try on the beagle and even though the dog would still have her excitement peeing, you wouldn't notice it because it would be absorbed by the diaper. BUT, they have to be changed frequently because they DO get wet and can cause skin irritation. However, that IS an alternative! Please email me and I'll help you with other options !!
Maybe she pees cuz shes scared. Make her come to you by offering a treat.
Take her to the vet to make sure she's not got a problem that needs medication.
If there's no health problem, it may be a fear response to you. You refer to her as "the little jerk" and all I hear is anger in your note. You may well have gotten her so scared that she's afraid you're going to whip her when you reach our your hand.
http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/applied...
Lighten up. If you think she is a jerk maybe you shouldn't have this dog. They do this when they are insecure or afraid, not on purpose.
Dear Shannon
I'm under a strange impression, that your kind shouldn't have a gold fish.
The poor dog is scared of you ! You *%26%$@#@$#%^ ! You need anger management classes and some sedatives because it is you that has issues, not the dog.
Well, I feel your pain. Things like this are frusterating and maddening, but what's worse, is being frusterated and mad, makes nervous and submissive peeing worse.
It is not "happy pee" it's submissive pee. Submissive dogs will pee around dominant dogs to show their submission and is a signal that your dog need its self confidence buit up.
I know this sounds weird, but praising your dog when she does this is much more effective than scolding her. When your dog pees to show submission and you get mad, she pees more to show even more submission. Be gentle and patient and it shoukd improve if not totally go away.
I have dealt with this many times, and all cases are solved when the person the dog pees around invests time and energy to show the dog that they care about them. Praise her a lot and give her a lot of attention and her confidence and the peeing will improve.
Please contact me if you have more questions. I am happy to help you because as I've said, I've dealt with this many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment