Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ear cropping?

i have three minature pinchers,only one has her ears cropped and we bought her like that since then we have gotten a male 2 yrs old,and they have had1pup 6mths old my husband found a vet that would do cropping but i do not want it done i believe it is unneccesary pain and torture.Are there any pros or cons to having this procedure done?
Answers:
Your dog will cry so much you will cry. I wouldn't recommend doing it at this age. Their ears will not heal as fast as a younger pup. Floppy ears look cute on dogs!
Most people don't realize how much work it takes to get a dog's cropped ears to stand. My mother in law had to take out the stitches in her Doberman's ears, ice them daily, and put foam tubes in her ears wrapped in tape to give them "shape." Poor dog looked ridiculous for a month.
I refuse to crop my 5 month old mini schnauzer's ears!
I think it's illegal in the UK. Not sure...
Ears cropped at 6 months of age, will NOT stand.. A vet that will crop ears at that age... Has no business being a vet.. He knows they won't stand, yet he will still perform the surgery. He should be reported!
ears dont stand up till 6 months
I agree, i find it unnecessary too, personal preference..but yes..those ears will not stand.i would look around for another vet...
ok i gotten my pitbulls ears done it isnt that bad. THe only think that you are going to hate it pulling the ears cause that does hurt them you are going to have to touch the ear, i didnt get tape on his ear with the stitches it look nasty for like a few days i kept on putting neosporin on them they came out fine. If you dont pull them i ws told they will be wrinkly and wont stand up. but i gotten the short crop done they might put tape on your pup after the stictches come out to suport then ears. GOOD LUCK!
Pros
Dog looks different
Dog has standy up ears
Cons
Dog could get an infection and die
Most shows are outlawing cropping so you can't show the dog
Unnecessary pain
A chance that the dog could react to the anesthetic and die in surgery
Its plain cruel
There is no benefit to cropping a dog's ears, they are mainly just for aesthetic purposes.
I also have a Min Pin male, and I never cropped his ears. I wanted to, as they look so much better that way, but I just couldn't do it because when he was young he was just a complete wuss, and I felt bad for him.
I don't see any pros for ear cropping. It is like cutting off you fingers and it is painfull. It can also turn out incorrect if not taken care properly after the procedure is finished. The only reason to get the ears cropped is if the dog is going to be in dog shows or if you are planning on fighting the dog, which is not a breed that is used for fighting.
Personally I like the natural ears because they always look like puppies.
Good Luck!
Some say it prevents yeast infection in ears to have them done. I have two Dobes one cropped and one natural and really all I can tell is it's a matter of preference.Some say to have them done they collect dirt easier. I think its just what you choose. Those dogs are way to old to have done they're ears won't stand.
the dogs are too old now to have this done. this should be done when they are younger. some of the pain can be relieved by doing the laser procedures, less pain, quicker healing, less blood loss, etc.
please tell your husband that they are just too old and their ears will not be able to train themselves now that they are older.
And my boy, Jacob, pictured here, says that he likes his ears just the way they are.
He's glad that I didn't put him throught the pain of having his ears done.

No comments:

Post a Comment